Re: Frustration with trying to build Debian packages from Maven-based sources

On Mon, Mar 18, 2013 at 09:27 +0000, Wolodja Wentland wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 17, 2013 at 16:47 +0100, Hilko Bengen wrote:
>
> > Initially, all I wanted to do was to build a proper Debian package for
> > ElasticSearch (#660826). It turns out that some needed
> > build-dependencies are not in Debian yet, so I start with version 2 of
> > jackson-core by downloading the jackson-core-2.1.4...
>
> Would you mind filing an ITP for jackson-core2? I too need this library to
> satisfy a build dependency and had a short look at the upstream code. The main
> issue that prevented me from going forward for now was an issue with their
> dual-licensing in that they seem to only have a license for already built jars
> but nothing stating explicitly that the same licensing is valid for their
> source code.

It seems to hold true for version 1 too. I am referring to:

    http://wiki.fasterxml.com/JacksonLicensing

and in particular the statement "Jackson JSON processor is by default an Open
Source product, available under Apache License (AL) 2.0, LGPL 2.1 with users
choosing which license they want to use (by choosing appropriate jars).". This
is then reflected on the download page:

    http://wiki.fasterxml.com/JacksonDownload

but I have yet to find an explicit statement that the *source code* is
licensed like this too and not only the jars. It seems to be clear that this
is their intend, but I am under the impression that this should be stated much
more explicitly (but IANAL).
--
Wolodja <debian@babilen5.org>

4096R/CAF14EFC
081C B7CD FF04 2BA9 94EA  36B2 8B7F 7D30 CAF1 4EFC