Re: openjdk maintenance for wheezy and squeeze

On Tue, Mar 5, 2013 at 11:46 AM, Matthias Klose wrote:
> Am 01.03.2013 04:35, schrieb Moritz Mühlenhoff:
>> Backporting security fixes with Java has turned out to be more of less
>> unfeasible. I tried this once with DSA 2507 and I think that amounted to at least
>> two man days of work for that update alone. Also, Ubuntu has shipped
>> backports to all suites in USN-1724 and AFAICS the world hasn't stopped.
>> After all, everyone using Oracle Java will be exposed to the same
>> behaviourial changes.
>>
>> So we should proceed with providing backports for openjdk in the future.
>
> will that be in backports, stable updates, or security?

Via stable-security (i.e. DSAs).

>> If Matthias keeps the Debian/Ubuntu packaging in a state that it's easily
>> buildable on squeeze/wheezy for ojdk6 and for wheezy on ojdk7 I think
>> we should be able to handle Java updates resource-wise.
>
> I do not intend to break that intentionally. Some back-porting may show some
> issues, like patches not updated for older releases.  There is a chance to break
> zero on some architectures, however if you feel that might become an issue, just
> disable zero for powerpc, ppc64, s390, s390x, as done for mips/mipsel. The
> hotspot port for sparc/sparc64 seems to work currently, so your call how to
> maintain it for wheezy.

Based on that and the below, it sounds like zero is troublesome, so it
should be disabled.

>> I'm not familiar with the Java internals, but if we're following that approach
>> it would make sense to upgrade Wheezy to the version in experimental
>> (i.e. 7u15 instead of 7u3).
>
> I won't upload this myself. IcedTea 7-2.3 uses two hotspot versions, one for the
> zero ports, one for the hotspot runtimes. From my point of view it would be good
> to update to a 7-2.[45] with a unified hotspot version capable to build both
> zero and hotspot, and keep the current 7-2.1.x for now.

It looks like icedtea is currently at 1.3.1 and you want to bump it to
a 2.x version?  I don't think the release team will like that very
much.  Do you have any ideas on a solution that gets to openjdk 7u15
while sticking with icedtea 1.3.1?

Thanks,
Mike