Re: Too old JRE/JDK in repos

On 08.03.2013 11:57, Eric Lavarde - Debian wrote:
Hi,

Roman V.Leon. said:
Hello gentlemen.
Could you advise please, why the JRE/JDK versions are too old in Debian?
There were a few security issues recently but current version in testing
is still 7u3, while the oracle version is already 7u17. I can't see
other ways of installing java in Debian except for downloading from
oracle.com or I miss something? Thanks.

One reason is surely manpower, so you are more than welcome to help.
Another reason is that Oracle can release new versions without having to
take care of dependencies, because each customer can decide if they'd like
to install the new version or not. If we release a new version in Debian,
all packages depending on it have to work as well (one of the reasons why
OpenJDK6 is still the default), that makes it more complex. Furthermore we
have currently a freeze in Debian + (as far as I know) advisories and
security patches should be/are backported to the version currently
packaged, and I think that's what's important because it's not like there
would be new features introduced.

Cheers, Eric

Eric thank you for the broad answer.

> One reason is surely manpower, so you are more than welcome to help.

With pleasure, just do not know how to start, so if you have some "dirty work" to do, please send me a link where i could find more information about that.

--
Regards,
Roman V.Leon.