Re: Upgrading visualvm/netbeans

On 04/03/13 19:44, Paweł Pałucha wrote:
> 2. Visualvm requires NetBeans platform. The latest NetBeans version in
> Debian is 7.0.1. The latest one available at this time is 7.3.
> Visualvm 1.3.5 requires 7.2.1, there are also other intermediate
> version available - 7.1, 7.2. What should be the policy when upgrading
> netbeans? Should we try to debianize latest version? For native
> libraries sometimes you can have multiple version installed (eg.
> libboost), but it can't be done with single source package. Also, why
> is the package called eg. libnb-platform13-java - where does 13 comes
> from?
>
> I'm not sure if working on such a huge package as NetBeans is a good
> starting point for a beginner. There's a wishlist also for upgrading
> NetBeans (http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=673606),
> but it looks like this attempt died so far...
>
> Regards
> Paweł
Hi,

I've been doing some more work on Netbeans and the Netbeans platform.
I've split them back into two separate packages, and installed things so
that you can have multiple versions of the platform installed at the
same time.

Most of my trial packages are in my PPA at
https://launchpad.net/~rockclimb/+archive/netbeans - I've not yet had
time to check them to the extent I'd want to in order to update the
packages in Debian. If you wanted to help with that then you'd be more
than welcome.

I've recently got The platform for Netbeans 7.3 building, but there are
a couple of dependencies which I only made a very quick packaging
attempt at. jnlp-servlet could do with someone to take it on and finish
off the packaging for example.

It looks like visualvm also needs the Netbeans Profiler suite, which
isn't fully building yet, although I've got some way there. Hopefully
it'll build OK against Netbeans 7.3, because I'd rather focus on the
current version.

Thanks,
Andy