Re: Runtime JVM != compile time JDK - acceptable?

On 2013-09-20 08:06, Joachim Zobel wrote:
> Hi.
>
> An obvious workaround for

> would be to set the runtime jvm to java-7-openjdk while keeping the
> compile time JVM at java 6. Is this acceptable or does it violate any
> policies?
>
> If so, what would be a good way to do this? Adding a reasonable java-7
> as netbeans_jdkhome to netbeans.conf?
>
> Sincerely,
> Joachim

Hi Joachim,

Personally, I would say it is an acceptable work around for now.  It
does get in the way of removing OpenJDK-6, but as I recall we are no
where near ready to do that yet.  So as long as this is a temporary
measure and will be replaced within the Jessie release cycle, I am
supportive of that idea.

As for how to do it: No clue; depends on the package and I don't know
enough about netbeans to say.  Though if you mess with a ".conf" file,
you will probably have to do it a build time[1].

~Niels

[1] Assuming it is what we call a "conffile" and not just a
"configuration file".  See Policy §10.7 on the difference.
  Basically, a "conffile" must be "complete" when we install it into the
.deb.  A (non-"conffile") "configuration" may be "finished" on the
system via e.g. postinst.  But non-"conffile"s requires a lot of manual
code in maintainer scripts to ensure it is (otherwise) properly handled
like a "conffile".

http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-files.html#s-config-files