Re: Getting started with netbeans

On 2013-09-16 08:06, Joachim Zobel wrote:
> Hi.

Hi,

Thanks for your interest in improving Debian netbeans package.

I have CC'ed you for now because I wasn't sure if you had subscribed
to the list or not (usually we will assume people are subscribed
unless otherwise stated).

> To find out how netbeans packaging works I cloned the netbeans git
> repository mentioned in the source package.

Great.  :)

> Question is what to do now. Running jh_make in the netbeans
> directory made me change the directory name to add the version. It
> then asked me questions (Which build system) that gave me the
> impression that this is the wrong way.

jh_build is for generating a template packaging when none is present
(and preferably, packages not using maven).  Since netbeans already
have some packaging it is sort of useless.

> How do I build the package?
>
> Thx, Joachim

Since there is some packaging available, a simple dpkg-buildpackage
should do.  Though you will (eventually) have to do the building in a
sid chroot.  Here you might want to use e.g. pbuilder, cowbuilder,
sbuild or one of the other "chroot"-providing packages.

However, please do note that netbeans have been reported to fail to
build from source (see #713182).  So there may be a bit of work in
getting it the package to build.  To my knowledege, we need some other
packages updated before the new version of netbeans can be packaged[1].

~Niels

[1] See <[🔎] 52362FC9.3080901@rossfamily.co.uk>

That is:

https://lists.debian.org/<[🔎] 52362FC9.3080901@rossfamily.co.uk>