Re: default-jdk change on kfreebsd

Am 17.08.2013 16:21, schrieb Christoph Egger:
> Moin!
>
> Steven Chamberlain <steven@pyro.eu.org> writes:
>> On 16/08/13 13:15, Christoph Egger wrote:
>>> I talked to rene here at DebConf. The problems did show up in the past
>>> when running the testsuite (hangs). Rene tried with current OpenJDK on
>>> falla -- in current kfreebsd sid -- and it does now works as well as
>>> anywhere on !linux-x86 which means we should be fine from this side.
>>
>> Should we treat this as a transition co-ordinated with the release team,
>> so that all rdepends are rebuilt?  I'd actually prefer this in any case;
>> it would fix some past build failures such as eclipse.  And possibly
>> libjogl-java, leading to scilab and more being built.  (But perhaps these
>> packages should also have had tighter Build-Depends if gcj is
>> insufficient.)
>
> I've been talking with Julien from the release team and Damien, the openjdk
> maintainer here at DebConf.
>
> Switching could -- as far as I understand -- work as follows:
>
> * Make openjdk-7 default. No other actions needed and should work for a
> start

it is nice that openjdk now builds on kfreebsd. thanks very much for getting
this done, everybody involved. however I'm a bit sceptical that people will be
able to keep up with hotspot changes.  Is there any commitment from the
kfreebsd side to keep this building with newer hotspot versions? Ideally that
would mean to have the kfreebsd port is integrated upstream and tested with
openjdk8 on an ongoing basis.

  Matthias