Re: JAVA_HOME in pbuilder

On 2013-06-30 10:25, olivier.sallou@codeless.fr wrote:
> Hi,
> I have an issue building a package with pbuilder.
>
> Package builds fine with dpkg-buildpackage, but when ran with pbuilder,
> it seems JAVA_HOME is lost.

pbuilder usually involves a sudo and that can clear (most of) the ENV

> The ant build file makes use of JAVA_HOME env property, and fails
> because it does not find something in JAVA_HOME.
>
> I make use of java helper:
>
> %:
>     dh $@ --with javahelper
>

> If I set JAVA_HOME myself in debian/rules (JAVA_HOME=$(readlink -f
> /usr/bin/javac | sed "s:/bin/javac::")), it works with:
>     debian/rules binary
> but not with dpkg-buildpackage, JAVA_HOME is seen as empty (which is
> weird as command looks at file location).

You are missing "export JAVA_HOME".  Also, we recommend that you set
JAVA_HOME to a known value to get a consistent build, e.g.

    export JAVA_HOME:=/usr/lib/jvm/default-java

(with a Build-Depends: default-jdk).  But you should definitely
set/export JAVA_HOME in d/rules if your build uses that variable.  In
particularly, relying on the user to set a variable for the build to
work is not permitted for (official) Debian pacakges.

> Any idea of what is going on in pbuilder env?
>
> Thanks
>
> Olivier

~Niels