Re: default-jdk versionned depends ? Was: Java Activation Framework removal

2013/5/17 Emmanuel Bourg <ebourg@apache.org>
For JAF specifically I think we are safe, I checked that GCJ provided an
implementation [1]. I haven't compared the implementation class by class
but it seems quite complete. I verified that libgnumail-java could build
on kfreebsd without libgnujaf-java.

On the other hand I tried to remove libmx4j-java from libmina2-java this
afternoon and I had to revert the change. MX4J provides an
implementation of javax.management which was integrated to Java 5. That
makes a good candidate for removal. But GNU Classpath provides only a
very limited implementation of this package, and Mina failed to compile
on kfreebsd.

I've many more examples of issues like this... Many Java libraries / programs depends on specific *internal behavior* of JDK classes or JVM runtime which are obviously not documented.

> What do others team's members thinks of this ?

I just dream we could have OpenJDK everywhere so we can move on. I
really regret being unable to help in this area.

I was working on kfreebsd-{amd64,i386} porting last year. I lack free time right now, but Guido Günther is working on it.
IMHO, running Java on arch other than i386/amd64/arm (and kfreebsd-* flavor) is a bit challenging journey...

Regards,
--
Damien