Re: Eclipse-WTP-JSP, Server Tools

Hi Thomas,

On 14.2.2013 22:17, Thomas Koch wrote:
thank you so much for caring about eclipse! It's fascinating how you manage to
get so much packaged.

:)

I was wondering what your roadmap might be? Do you plan to package more
plugins? Which?

Speaking of WTP, right now I don't have a plan to package more plugins like JSP, JSF etc.
as I don't need them. This may change in the future, but it would be better if someone
else, with more interest in these plugins, took the task.

The Debian eclipse-wtp is already too big to my tastes, so I would prefer to have
separate e.g. eclipse-wtp-jsp source package for that.

In regard to other Eclipse plugins, I have some work in progress on Android development
tools, its non-Eclipse-specific part[1] should be buildable in experimental distribution
and it is possible to run tools like DDMS and Hierarchy Viewer as standalone applications.
However I'm somewhat stuck on the Eclipse integration side[2] that requires to package
Lombok[3]. That stuff uses internal APIs of Java compiler and I couldn't build it with
OpenJDK.

I want also to reintroduce eclipse-pydev (nothing published yet, will require updates
in some dependency libraries).

How much work do you think would it be to package those plugins (JSF, Server
Tools)? Is it complicate? Should I try?

Well that differs significantly package from package, some are very easy, other more
challenging.

The most frustrating part is to remove all bundled libraries and replace them with
JARs from Debian, often you have to update existing package to add OSGi metadata
(Anyone out there willing to make some jh_osgi tool to make it more automatic?).

The rest is usually quite straightforward. There is already plenty of eclipse-*
packages you can learn from. When there aren't any fancy dependencies, making
a package for JSP+JSF could be a work for 1-2 days I think. You can grab sources
from here[4].

Although I don't want to maintain these packages, I will review your work once done.

Regards,

Jakub

[1] http://anonscm.debian.org/gitweb/?p=pkg-java/androidsdk-tools.git
[2] http://anonscm.debian.org/gitweb/?p=pkg-java/eclipse-adt.git