Re: javaws / jnlp policies ?

On 3/6/12 5:35 AM, Sylvestre Ledru wrote:
Le lundi 05 mars 2012 à 12:36 +0100, Mathieu Malaterre a écrit :
[CC me please]

Hi there,

   I could not find any reference for javaws and/or jnlp in the debian
policy manual. Has anyone any experience with distributing .jnlp
within debian package ? What is the jnlp location ? What is the helper
script (javaws helper) ?
I am not sure we have such things.
It would be nice if you could write a draft for the policy about this
subject ?

Sylvestre

Here are a few observations around this topic based on my years of Java development and my Debian involvement:

1.) javaws and jnlp has pretty much always required the full non-free JRE, I don't think it was ever a thought to package a Java Web Start application in main, much less develop guidelines for it.

2.) Java Web Start and jnlp have had marginal adoption over the years and are considered passé by most Java developers I know and work with. Is there a particular Java Web Start application you had in mind?

3.) Does OpenJDK fully support javaws/jnlp, and in particular the application(s) being considered for packaging? If not, bear in mind that these packages will always live in non-free if they require the official Oracle JDK.

Regards,
--
Barry Hawkins
All Things Computed