Re: New work on java-package

On 01/01/2012 10:00 PM, Cédric Pineau wrote:
> To build upon several threads regarding java-package, I've played with it
> on my side with the hope it could find his way back in debian (I too need
> clean installs of Oracle java on debian, should it only be because it's
> Oracle one and companies/people don't want to hear about subtle
> differences, they want the one they used to use, the one everybody use, the
> one they download and use on their windows, ...)
>
> I put my fork on github for the moment :
> https://github.com/cedricpineau/java-package
> It consists of :
> - last codebase of java-package (0.42)
> - complete removal of previously supported jvm (blackdown, ibm, sun, etc),
> to refocus the tool on tested and used contents
> - addition of 32bits and 64bits Oracle 7 (jdk, jre, javadoc), with
> iceweasel and chromium as supported navigators so far.
>
> Do you, debian developpers and java-package authors, think this "trimmed
> and renewed" version could be a new start for java-package ?
> Is it desirable for debian to offer a tool that ease the use of non free
> software like Oracle JVM ? (
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-java/2011/09/msg00012.html)
> Is it acceptable to keep the name but remove previous content, the way I
> did it ?
> Eventually, would someone be interested to sponsor me on this package as I
> volunteer to keep working on it (java6, ..) ?

I didn't like java-package in the past, and I don't like it now, however some
comments:

 - priority of java7 alternatives should be higher than
   java6 alternatives (i.e. 317 instead of 316)
 - please don't provide an alternative for apt anymore. it's
   deprecated upstream, and I'll remove it from openjdk as well.
 - please support the .jinfo files (update-java-alternatives)
 - please install into a multiarch location to allow installing
   the i386 client vm on amd64 and ia64.

Matthias