Re: sources jars for gwt projects (e.g. gerrit)

On 2012-10-31 13:30, Thomas Koch wrote:
> Hi,
>
> gwt (google web toolkit) needs the sources jar of all external jar files it
> should compile to javascript. Currently there's not a single package shipping
> sources jars and the Maven Source Plugin isn't even packaged.

Eclipse do (did?) have source jars though most them are (were?) in
eclipse-pde.  Though that does not contain jgit that you listed below.

> So I need to add an ITP for the Source Plugin to the already impressive
> dependency list of Gerrits ITP[1] and I need to patch the following packages
> to also produce  sources jars:
>
> - jgit
> - gwtorm (still ITP)
> - gwtjsonrpc (still ITP)
> - gwtexpui (still ITP)
> - geronimo-validation-1.0-spec
>
> Maven-Debian-Helper (or Repo-Helper?) needs to be patched not to exclude the
> sources plugin by default and I think the dependency mangling also doesn't
> work with the sources classifier.
>
> Now there're policy questions:
>
> Should there be separate binary packages for the sources jar? (I think so.)

Maybe throw them in the -doc so we don't have to add "yet another binary
package" to all of our source packages.

> Should there be a standard place to put the sources jars?
>  ( e.g. /usr/share/java-sources )

Maybe /usr/share/java/sources/ so we don't add more dirs to /usr/share
unless Fedora/etc. is using /usr/share/java-sources already.

> Is there any preference from the eclipse packagers how to handle sources jars?

I think it needs OSGi for Eclipse to pick it up and then it presumably
have to be put in some /usr/lib/eclipse/dropins/X/plugins/Y.source_Z/
directory.  Though I am guessing here, maybe Jakub Adam knows more.

> Should the java policy recommend to also package sources jars?

Recommend might be a bit strong.

> Should there be a naming scheme for sources jars packages? Should there be one
> binary sources package for every Debian source package or should there be a
> match to have one binary sources package for every Debian binary jar package?
>
> [1] http://bugs.debian.org/589436
>
> Best regards,
>
> Thomas Koch, http://www.koch.ro

If we do add them, we would keep the number to a "minimum",  so at most
one "source" binary or source package.  Not sure about the naming scheme.

~Niels