Re: WiP on gradle 1.1

Hi Damien!

On Fri, Aug 31, 2012 at 7:32 AM, Damien Raude-Morvan
<drazzib@drazzib.com> wrote:
> I've spend some hours trying to update Gradle package to 1.1 release and I
> think I've now a pretty much working package (at least I can rebuild gradle
> with itself ;).
> I've pushed my changes to Alioth in a personnal repository (seems more
> secure given we are still in freeze for wheezy).

Thank you very much for working on this. I'll begin to test this new
upstream release in the next days.

Do you plan to upload to experimental if everything goes well?

> I'm looking for comments on :
> - packages split : is there too much binary packages from same source ?

I have the same question, maybe somebody else can comment on this?

> - boostrap / non-bootstrap build : gradle use itself as buildsystem and
> upstream doesn't provide (AFAIK) a bootstrap mechanism. So there is a
> debian/rules bootstrap target that need testing

> - build gradle 1.1 with gradle 1.0~m3 currently in archive : I've tried but
> it fails...

I don't think this is going to work, there are too many changes
introduced since that milestone and AFAICR that version of Gradle only
worked with Groovy 1.7.

I'd work directly on debian/rules bootstrap target. I have never seen
a Gradle non-bootstrap build, upstream only provides that wrapper that
just downloads a Gradle binary distribution. It is for that reason I
build a private .deb from upstream and from there I build a sane
Debian package that can be build with itself (like a compiler I guess,
but with the difference they care about backward compatibility).

> I'll publish some binary packages soon on my people.debian.org.

Cool, I'll wait for them or maybe I'll just try to rebuild everything
as testing. :)

Thanks again for working on this.

Miguel Landaeta, miguel at miguel.cc
secure email with PGP 0x6E608B637D8967E9 available at http://keyserver.pgp.com/