Re: RFS: tomcat7 7.0.28-2 (fixes RC bug)

On 2012-07-10 22:02, tony mancill wrote:
> On 07/10/2012 12:33 PM, Niels Thykier wrote:
>> [...]
>>
>> ~Niels
>
> Hi Niels,
>
> I changed the build to calculate the MD5SUM needed in the postrm because
> packages would forget to modify the sum after modifying the app and
> reintroduce a piuparts error (see #670440).  I see now how this creates
> a problem when building twice in a row, but only in the case that the
> contents of the root webapp were modified.  (Otherwise the MD5SUm is
> correct and @ROOT_WEBAPP_MD5SUM@ isn't matched or replaced.)  Is that an
> RC bug?
>
> I can update the build to use a postrm.in file if this is RC.
>
> Thanks,
> tony

I would say it is a bug; imagine that the files contain a bug and they
are fixed in a NMU.  If the NMU'er uses the dsc from the archive[1], the
NMU'ed package will use the old md5sum.  Then the NMU'ed postrm will not
properly purge.

Beyond that, Policy says the following about "clean":

"""
This must undo any effects that the build and binary targets may have
had, except that it should leave alone any output files created in the
parent directory by a run of a binary target.
"""

Personally I think the postrm change fails that definition of the clean
target.

~Niels

[1] Which is more likely than the NMU'er actually building from git.