How to handle license for packaging bits when none is specified

Hi all,

I am working on refreshing cdk package. First I wish to fix some bugs
and then I will be working on new upstream release.

I wish to convert the d/copyright file to the newly approved copyright
1.0 (previously dep5) format. This package was initially created by
'Daniel Leidert (dale) <daniel.leidert@wgdd.de>' as specified in
current copyright file. Problem is there is no license associated with
the packaging bits and Daniele has already asked to be removed from
uploaders list via a bug. Note that Daniele is listed as one of the
upstream authors as well.

Now the question I am facing is how to document licensing for
packaging bits for the time when Daniele was maintaining it. Is there
any generic guidelines to handle this?

Regards,
Onkar
Don't ask why - the reason is the same.