Re: javaws / jnlp policies ?

[CC me please]

On Tue, Mar 6, 2012 at 1:38 PM, Barry Hawkins <barry@alltc.com> wrote:
> On 3/6/12 5:35 AM, Sylvestre Ledru wrote:
>>
>> Le lundi 05 mars 2012 à 12:36 +0100, Mathieu Malaterre a écrit :
>>>
>>> [CC me please]
>>>
>>> Hi there,
>>>
>>>   I could not find any reference for javaws and/or jnlp in the debian
>>> policy manual. Has anyone any experience with distributing .jnlp
>>> within debian package ? What is the jnlp location ? What is the helper
>>> script (javaws helper) ?
>>
>> I am not sure we have such things.
>> It would be nice if you could write a draft for the policy about this
>> subject ?
>>
>> Sylvestre
>>

> Here are a few observations around this topic based on my years of Java
> development and my Debian involvement:
>
> 1.) javaws and jnlp has pretty much always required the full non-free JRE, I
> don't think it was ever a thought to package a Java Web Start application in
> main, much less develop guidelines for it.
>
> 2.) Java Web Start and jnlp have had marginal adoption over the years and
> are considered passé by most Java developers I know and work with. Is there
> a particular Java Web Start application you had in mind?
>
> 3.) Does OpenJDK fully support javaws/jnlp, and in particular the
> application(s) being considered for packaging? If not, bear in mind that
> these packages will always live in non-free if they require the official
> Oracle JDK.

I have no background on whether or not jnlp should/should not be
dropped. My only interested is on the pixelmed package:

$ apt-get source pixelmed
$ find pixelmed-20111230 -name \*.jnlp
pixelmed-20111230/webstart/DicomImageViewer.jnlp
pixelmed-20111230/webstart/DoseUtility.jnlp
pixelmed-20111230/webstart/ConvertAmicasJPEG2000FilesetToDicom.jnlp
pixelmed-20111230/webstart/DicomCleaner.jnlp
pixelmed-20111230/webstart/DicomImageBlackout.jnlp
pixelmed-20111230/webstart/WatchFolderAndSend.jnlp
pixelmed-20111230/webstart/MediaImporter.jnlp

I personnally use (offline) DicomImageViewer, DoseUtility &
DicomCleaner. However I /could/ imagine that some users would want
those distributed as original jnlp instead of command line script.

Thanks again for comments,
--
Mathieu