Re: Tomcat for Squeeze

Apologies for the extremely slow response on this one....

On 06/01/12 21:21, tony mancill wrote:
> On 01/05/2012 11:44 AM, Tomasz Muras wrote:
>> On 05/01/12 19:23, Miguel Landaeta wrote:
>>> I agree with this, I think the team should not commit to
>>> several years more of tomcat6 maintenance.
>>>
>>> What do you think?
>>>
>> Drop tomcat6.
>
> I think that there are probably be a number of users who will still
> want to run tomcat6 on wheezy (I'll probably be one of them), but
> agree that the team is spread thin enough already.

I agree.

> I tried taking a look at the Tomcat website to see if there is some
> sort of published roadmap regarding tomcat6, but I didn't really
> find anything.  Does anyone (James?) know if tomcat6 will be
> included in Ubuntu 12.04LTS?  That would ostensibly mean 5 years of
> support from next April (and tomcat6 is already included in
> 10.04LTS, so that's another 3+ years from now).

Tomcat upstream don't appear to be that good at publishing support
roadmaps.  tomcat6 will be included in Ubuntu 12.04 LTS release as the
Canonical supported version and tomcat7 will be in universe and hence
will be community maintained (lol - that probably means me).

I was going to recommend switching versions for the next Ubuntu
release (Q) at the Ubuntu Developer Summit; I prefer to make major
version changes for established packages in non-LTS releases if possible.

> Anyway, the consensus seems to be to drop tomcat6 for wheezy.
> Maybe we can put together a wiki page to refer users to either an
> unofficial package or the Ubuntu package.

If Canonical are going to be providing support (inc. Security updates)
for tomcat6 in Ubuntu would it not be possible just to take security
updates as an when required?  That would make it lighter weight to
retain in Debian.

- --
James Page
Ubuntu Core Developer