Re: Tomcat for Squeeze

On 01/05/2012 11:44 AM, Tomasz Muras wrote:
> On 05/01/12 19:23, Miguel Landaeta wrote:
>> On Thu, Jan 5, 2012 at 1:43 PM, Moritz Muehlenhoff <jmm@inutil.org> wrote:
>>> currently there's Tomcat 6 and Tomcat 7 in Wheezy. Will 6 be dropped
>>> before the Wheezy relese? It would be good to only have one version
>>> in Wheezy.
>> I agree with this, I think the team should not commit to several years
>> more of tomcat6 maintenance.
>>
>> What do you think?
>>
> Drop tomcat6.

I think that there are probably be a number of users who will still want
to run tomcat6 on wheezy (I'll probably be one of them), but agree that
the team is spread thin enough already.

I tried taking a look at the Tomcat website to see if there is some sort
of published roadmap regarding tomcat6, but I didn't really find
anything.  Does anyone (James?) know if tomcat6 will be included in
Ubuntu 12.04LTS?  That would ostensibly mean 5 years of support from
next April (and tomcat6 is already included in 10.04LTS, so that's
another 3+ years from now).

Anyway, the consensus seems to be to drop tomcat6 for wheezy.  Maybe we
can put together a wiki page to refer users to either an unofficial
package or the Ubuntu package.

Cheers,
tony