Re: New work on java-package

Cédric Pineau <cedric.pineau@gmail.com> writes:

> Do you, debian developpers and java-package authors, think this "trimmed
> and renewed" version could be a new start for java-package ?
> Is it desirable for debian to offer a tool that ease the use of non free
> software like Oracle JVM ? (
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-java/2011/09/msg00012.html)

I don't have a lot of time, but to offer encouragement, I think what
you're doing sounds good (I've not looked at it in detail), and I think
it's absolutely appropriate to provide a tool (in contrib) to install the
Oracle JVM.

Unfortunately, the reality of large-site system administration is that one
often has to work with vendors who simply insist that you run a particular
JVM or they won't provide support, and as annoying and frustrating as that
is, it's something that one has to live with.

> Is it acceptable to keep the name but remove previous content, the way I
> did it ?

Java 6 support is important... other than that, I'd have to look at what
you removed, but certainly having something is better than nothing!

> Eventually, would someone be interested to sponsor me on this package as
> I volunteer to keep working on it (java6, ..) ?

I'd *prefer* if someone else did it since I don't have a lot of time, but
I'm willing to sponsor the package if no one else has resources, since
we'll definitely use it.