Re: join debian java team

On 2011-03-23 08:28, Stan Ioan-Eugen wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm Eugen and I wish that Java has better support in Debian. I use
> Debian daily on my laptop for more than two years, and up until now I
> have contributed mostly to l10n-romanian. For about a year I started
> learning Java, I like the language and I think I can help.

Hi and welcome,

A helping hand is always appreciated in improving support for Java in
Debian.

> I am applying for Debian GSoC and hopefully I will package jigsaw [1]
> for Debian for this summer, but regardless of that I hope that by fall
> I am ready and worthy of applying for Debian maintainer.

I am not directly involved with the Debian GSoC. Nevertheless that
sounds like a decent plan. XD
  Feel free to ping me a bit down the road to add support for this stuff
in javahelper (so I can convince Matthew to do it ^^ )

> I have started reading [0] and I am interested in packaging a small
> java application for Debian so I am looking for a sponsor. I am
> looking for something small to get me started and work my way up to
> more complicated stuff. I am thinking of  Selenium IDE [2] which I
> used a little bit or Squirell-sql. But if there are other more
> important/urgent things to be done I will be happy to help.
>
> [0] http://wiki.debian.org/Java
> [1] http://wiki.debian.org/SummerOfCode2011/Jigsaw
> [2] http://seleniumhq.org/projects/ide/
> [3] http://squirrel-sql.sourceforge.net/
>
> Regards,

As I recall squirel-sql is already packed but still missing a sponsor
and my experience with IDEs is that they tend to be "very complicated" -
just look at the current status of netbeans. :P

~Niels