Re: Idea for wheezy development: automatic class search tool

On Sat, Feb 19, 2011 at 4:07 PM, Benjamin Drung <bdrung@debian.org> wrote:
> Am Samstag, den 19.02.2011, 15:45 +0100 schrieb Vincent Fourmond:
>>   This is an idea that has been there for a long time, but I haven't
>> had the time yet to implement it, nor even to voice it so far. What
>> I'm often missing while packaging Java software is a simple too to
>> find which debian package holds which class. My idea is to provide a
>> simple alioth service doing just that, potentially with a command-line
>> tool to interrogate it some time later, although a web interface
>> should be fine enough. [...]
>
> Can we have it in a package instead? Something equivalent to
> command-not-found?

  Just like command-not-found, it has to rely on remote service. In
the case of command-not-found, it is apt-file. Once the remote service
is in place, a command-line tool to interrogate it will be easy.

  On the other hand, this tool should not be used at all like
command-not-found: while the latter is useful to suggest new programs
to end-users, a missing depencency in a jar file is a RC bug and
should never occur.

  Cheers,

      Vincent