Re: Setting goals for Wheezy

  Hello,

On Tue, Feb 8, 2011 at 3:06 PM, Niels Thykier <niels@thykier.net> wrote:
> Now that Squeeze is out, I was thinking that we could look at some of
> the things that we would like to get done for Wheezy. During Squeeze I
> compiled a short list of things I would have liked to have done for
> Squeeze or things that appeared very interesting but clearly beyond the
> Squeeze time frame.
>  The list is not ordered in any particular order:
>
>  - Java library transitions
>  - jarwrapper on kfreebsd.
>  - DEP-7
>  - Auto java -> native compile on end user systems.
>   (getting rid of the need for -gcj packages)
>  - get rid of default-jdk-builddep
>  - servlet2.{3,4} removal (#581024)
>  - upgrade/removal of outdated/old/retired packages
>   (guessed based reverse dependencies)
>   * RM: xml-crimson, libswidgets-java, libtoolbar-java, libgef-java
>   * Upgrade: png-sixlegs, pentaho-reporting-flow-engine, libxml-java,
>     libswirl-java, libsaxon-java, libjazzy-java

  I may add as well:

  * enforcing the "well-documented classpath" bit of the policy (ie,
enforce the requirements for jars to hold a manifest with the
classpath). I know that several of "my" packages don't follow this,
and it's something I'll try to fix.

  This would allow:

  * to have java-wrappers automatically follow classpaths
  * and, most importantly, to really know what a package depends on,
to ease transitions.

  Just a thought in the wind, but it's something I will hopefully have
some time to tackle in March/April.

  Cheers,

      Vincent