Re: How to use Debian packaged freehep instead of upstream provided freehep.jar

Hi.

On 07/02/2011 20:27, Andreas Tille wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 07, 2011 at 07:56:13PM +0100, Giovanni Mascellani wrote:
>> The right list for discussion Java-related stuff is debian-java@l.d.o.
>
> Now using proper list - and thanks for the CC - I'm not (yet) subscribed.

Still keeping you in Cc: until further notice.

>> Unfortunately, your upstream decided to do things by hand. First thing
>> to do is to send him some secret voodoo curses.
>
> Okk, Voooo...^W, no I think upstream is kind enough to not send him
> curses. :-)

So you're very lucky. My experience was very different. :-(

>> The second one is decide
>> what you want to do: given that figtree build system is not that
>> complicated, you could choose to write yourself the .pom file and use
>> it.
>
> For me this sounds like the better solution.  It will leave upstreams
> code untouched for whatever other purpose and in addition it adds
> perhaps extra value.  If you consider it the prefered way to go anyway
> I think the decision is clear.

Of course it's the better solution: it's cleaner (because, as I said,
you describe what you want instead of telling instructions; then maven
is more or less intelligent enough to do what you want) and the .pom
itself is distributed in your package, so if other programs or libraries
will have to link against it, they'll be able to do so using maven or
ivy again.

Anyway, unfortunately, you still have to put hands on upstream's code,
because maven requires the projects it's working on to have a specific
directory structure.

>> Fortunately the dependencies
>> among FreeHEP packages can help you to reduce the number of dependencies
>> you need to explicit.
>
> Yes.  That's why I was asking.

Well, which dependencies you really need depends on what parts of
FreeHEP you're using. Doing a quick grep on you're code, I'd say that
you need to include explicitly all the graphicsio{,-*}, graphics2d and
export. All the other libraries will be automatically pulled in by these.

>> Hope to be helpful.
>
> In fact you were for finding a reasonable decision.  Could you perhaps
> recommend a "similar" package where I could steal a *.pom file or advise
> some good reading how to write one?

I must admit I'm not a maven expert: I just discovered it when I had to
package FreeHEP and started to use it then, no more than I needed for my
packages. This tutorial seems enough to start with:

http://maven.apache.org/guides/getting-started/maven-in-five-minutes.html

Otherwise, FreeHEP .pom files seem to be simple enough for you to just
hack one of them.

>> Anyway, upstream for Java packages should really be
>> aware of this wonderful FOSDEM talk:
>>
>> http://www.fosdem.org/2011/schedule/event/devpackaging
>>
>> I really hope slides and video to be available ASAP.
>
> I'll foreward this hint together with the pom file.

Collaborative upstreams are really wonderful things! :-)

Cheers, Gio.
--
Giovanni Mascellani <mascellani@poisson.phc.unipi.it>
Pisa, Italy