Re: How to package Nuxeo DM, a Java EE application, in Debian

On Mon, Feb 7, 2011 at 9:42 AM, Stefane Fermigier <sf@nuxeo.com> wrote:
> So I guess in this case the root of all evil (like often in the Java world) comes from Maven...

  I think the main problem is the "easy" management of versioned
depencencies. Software that allow the easy coexistence of a multitude
of versions of a library package (such as maven, but also rubygems,
that also hurts in Debian) encourage laziness: library developers tend
to care less for API/ABI changes ("If they don't like the new version,
they can use the old one"), and downstream developers tend to stick to
a well-known version and not make the effort to port to newer ABI.

  Distributions cannot do that.

  Cheers,

      Vincent