Re: Switching default-java to OpenJDK7

On 2011-11-15 18:25, James Page wrote:
> On 14/11/11 18:46, Damien Raude-Morvan wrote:
>> Hi James,
>
> [...]

Hi,

>> Have you noticed a common FTBFS pattern for all this packages ? Or
>> all failure seems differents ?
>
> There are some common trends - for example I have seen the following
> issues:
>
> 1) Failures due to source file encoding and default behaviour with javac
> 2) Packaging issues where the package depends on default-jdk but
> JAVA_HOME is set to point at /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-openjdk
> 3) Changes to the JDBC API's causing source incompatibility
> 4) Removal of internal API's causing issues for packages which use them
>
> Cheers
>
> James

2) is a FTBFS in Debian (or it should be already), because
java-6-openjdk does not exist anymore (it is java-6-openjdk-$arch).
Feel free to file (serious) bugs for that in Debian.
  I think Ubuntu may have "lowered" requirements here but I am not 100%
sure[1].  At least it could be the reason why you do not see the FTBFS
with the normal openjdk-6 in Ubuntu.

~Niels

[1]

"""
java-common (0.43ubuntu1) precise; urgency=low

  * Keep old jvm symlinks in the openjdk-6-jre-headless package.

java-common (0.43) unstable; urgency=low

  * Depend on the multiarch aware openjdk-6-jre-headless.
  * Default to openjdk-6 on ppc64.
 -- Matthias Klose <email address hidden>   Thu, 20 Oct 2011 [...]

"""