Re: Backporting Eclipse

On 2011-11-10 11:48, Florian Weimer wrote:
> * Niels Thykier:
>
>> That being said - that line is only a warning as I recall, so that
>> cannot be reason for a failure.  Also, this is not OSGi, but
>> eclipse-build's OSGi checker that emits this warning.
>
> Yes, the actual build failure was listed below.  The Jetty JAR
> references include a version number, and we've got a newer Jetty
> version, so that broke the build.  Would it make sense to file a bug
> about this?  It's particularly inconvenient because those references are
> inside the eclipse-build-generatedScripts.tar.bz2 file.
>
> Thankfully, I've now got a backport which appears to be working. 8-)

Yeah, eclipse-build-generatedScripts.tar.bz2 is a pain to deal with, but
the alternative is to have eclipse Build-Depends on itself.  If I
understood the Fedora people right, you generally need the same major
version of eclipse to bootstrap it (i.e. eclipse 3.7 can only be
bootstrapped by eclipse 3.7).
  So currently it appears to be the lesser of two evils.

For future reference, regenerateBootstrapFiles.sh can be used to
(partly) automate the process of updating these scripts.  The basic
operation is something like:

  ant symlinkDeps
  ./regenerateBootstrapFiles.sh /path/to/eclipse
  ant distclean

The major issue here is that you need a functional eclipse of same major
version (in this case 3.7) and the Build-Depends of eclipse (pulled from
a stable{,-backports} repository).

You can also hand-edit the files in
eclipse-build-generatedScripts.tar.bz2, which was how I prepared the
initial 3.7~exp upload.  :)  (Though I guess this is how you did it :P)

~Niels