maven-debian-helper without cdbs?

Hi,

could you please point me to any package that uses maven-debian-helper without
cdbs but with debhelper, so that I can learn how it's done?
I tried to use the *.substvars file generated by mh_make, but dpkg-
buildpackage complains all the time that it could not parse ${maven:Depends}.
I tried to name the substvars file in different ways BINPACKAGE.substvars,
SOURCEPACKAGE.substvars, substvars, but no success.

Do I understand it right, that the substvars file should not be in the source
package but autogenerated on every build?

Thank you,

Thomas Koch, http://www.koch.ro