Re: Introduction

On 2011-09-18 18:12, Fernando C. Estrada wrote:
> Hi Java Team ;-)
>
>[...]
>
> Hi Niels,
>
>> To my knowledge no one has been working on this.  If you want to work on
>> it, feel free to take it.  I will gladly assist you with our limited
>> tool support (eclipse-helper from javahelper).  Also please use eclipse
>> 3.7 (in experimental) as basis for the work, as eclipse in sid (3.5.2)
>> is uninstallable.
>
> I had eclipse from Sid and worked ok, then I uninstalled it and
> install from experimental, but now my eclipse doesn't recognize anything
> (like JDT for example), the only "problem" for the installation was the
> notification of #641378. What do you mean by uninstallable? (maybe this
> is related with my current problem).

Right, so I meant use the experimental version as a basis of your
packaging work.  eclipse from experimental is currently broken due to
libjasper-java checking the path to a jar (and possibly a similar issue
with sat4j).

Now eclipse from sid is broken due to xulrunner-1.9.1 not being in the
archive anymore *and* the libjasper-java change.

Anyhow, plans are to upload eclipse 3.7 to sid soon since it is "less
broken" (and a lot easier to fix).  It merely requires a lucene2 upload
to sid and possibly one more package.

>> Looking at [Fedora]'s packaging, it seems that ShellEd depends on
>> eclipse-dltk and eclipse-manpage.  Neither are (to my knowledge) in Debian.
>
> You're right, this package is not "easy" based on dependencies,
> eclipse-dltk #551855 depends on eclipse-mylyn #581422, and if I'm right
> eclipse-manpage is part of eclipse-linuxtools #593285.

You can almost be sure that eclipse-linuxtools uses a "sane" build
system (probably PDE build), so it /should/ be relatively easy to deal
with.  The reason is that linuxtools have a lot of Fedora people on the
team that has to package it.  XD
  I think the real issue will be eclipse-mylyn.  I think we long ago (a
year or more) tried to package it.  In the end, nothing happened due to
lack of interest, but there might be some basic packaging on git
(probably pkg-java/eclipse-mylyn.git if it still exists).
  Anyhow, feel free to "steal" the Fedora packaging as well for all
cases.  Although with javahelper's eclipse-helper you should be able to
do a relatively simple rules file (see eclipse-emf or eclipse-rse).  In
my experience it is definitely simplier and easier than doing it
manually (Fedora tend to do this):

"""
%build
%{eclipse_base}/buildscripts/pdebuild -f $feature -a "$OPTIONS"

%install
unzip -q -n -d %{buildroot}%{eclipse_dropin}/$name \
      build/rpmBuild/$feature.zip
"""

The only problem with the eclipse-helpers is that it relies 100% on the
"PDE Build" system.  A lot of eclipse plugins/projects tend to use it,
but occasionally maven build systems appears.
  The "PDE Build" (+ build helpers from Linuxtools) system may appear to
be a bit magical and that is because it is a bit magical.  Basically, we
build "eclipse features".  Each feature consists of some eclipse plugins
or/and "sub features".  Eclipse has never been designed with
"rebuildability (from scratch)" or distributions in mind, so Linuxtools
and the Debian eclipse-helper's have worked around this by...

 * Copying the sources into an expendable directory (done by eclipse-
   helper jh_setupenvironment)
 * Create the eclipse base platform (+ requested "extra" parts if any).
   (done by Linuxtools's "pde-build" script)
   - Uses symlinks so it is faster than it sounds
 * Have eclipse PDE generate and run the build files.  (done by
   Linuxtools's pde-build script)
   - Some of this stuff is not cleaned (properly) on clean, hench the
     expendable directory.
 * Install the resulting features into the eclipse dropins dir.  (done
   by eclipse-helper jh_installeclipse)
 * Remove the expendable directory (done by javahelper jh_clean)

I have left out some steps (like "pde-build" is usually invoked by
jh_compilefeatures) and I suggest you read the javahelper tutorial.  My
ramblings in 1293_Packaging_with_javahelper.ogv may also be useful to you.

> I want to collaborate in Java packaging so I want to be a member of the
> Java Team, my main interests in this moment are Eclipse related but any
> other task is fully welcome, I'm already subscribed at debian-java and
> pkg-java-maintainers mailing lists, currently I'm watching the Java
> related videos from DebConf10 [1-5].

eclipse related stuff can use all the hands it can get.  :)  But if you
are bored, the Java team has a lot of packages that could use attention.  XD

> As introduction my name is Fernando, I'm 28 years old and live in Mexico
> City, I work as a Java Developer for an Insurance Company (unfortunately
> not FLOSS related). Currently I'm a member of l10n-spanish, publicity,
> and other Debian activities like admin of ask.debian.net, debian.mx,
> etc., but so far no development (packaging) activity.

You may want to read up on some basic tutorials or guides if you are
completely new to packaging.  There are a couple of them - the most well
known is probably the "New Maintainers Guide"[1], but some of the others
may have "less text and more action".  :)
  The mentor's list (debian-mentors@lists.debian.org) is also a very
good place for asking about general/basic packaging questions.  Though
for Java packaging tools or Java packaging questions, this is definitely
the place to ask.  :)

[1] http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/maint-guide/

> Any recommendations on how to start to collaborate will be very useful,
> mainly to know the priorities of the team and be able to join my efforts
> in the same direction.

You are very welcome to join us  :) - for commit access, please apply
for membership of the pkg-java group on alioth (you may need an account
if you do not already have one).

> Thanks for your attention!
>
> Regards,
>
> [1] http://meetings-archive.debian.net/pub/debian-meetings/2010/debconf10/low/1285_The_Java_Packaging_Nightmare.ogv