Re: RFS: lucene3

On Mon, 2011-09-05 at 23:49 +0100, Mat Scales wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I'm still looking for a sponsor for lucene3:

Hi Mat

I'm unable to sponsor your package but I do have the following feedback:

1) FTBFS on javadoc warnings

I was unable to get the package to build as is; the lucene build is
configured to fail on any javadoc warnings - adding
-Dfailonjavadocwarning=false to the ant call in debian/rules worked
around this issue and is probably a sensible default anyway.

2) debhelper + javahelper

I noticed that you have used .install and .links files to install and
link the jar files into /usr/share/java - I would recommend that you use
the javahelper package as it does alot of this work for you and will
deal with new upstream release numbers etc..

See file:///usr/share/doc/javahelper/tutorial.html (when you have it
installed :-)).

3) Repack of orig.tar.gz

The upstream tarball has been repacked to removed bundled libraries
etc.. and given the package a +dfsg version number - however this is not
done automatically through debian/watch or documented in the packaging.

I would recommend looking at automating this process - makes it easier
to pickup future upstream releases.

jh_repack might do enough for you - you can plumb it into the watch
file.  I also don't believe that you really *NEED* to have the +dfsg
version number if you are just stripping our bundled jar files - anyone
else please feel free to correct me if this is not the case.

You can also use the git repo to store an upstream and pristine-tar
branch which makes life easier for sponsors - see
http://wiki.debian.org/Java/JavaGit for more details.

4) liblucene2-java Conflicts on -java packages

IMHO it would be better if lucene2 and lucene3 could co-exist on the
same system - they are just libraries so appropriate naming (which could
complicate point 2) i.e. lucene3.jar would be possible.

I'd like to see this package in Debian as I want to look at packaging
OpenGROK which depends on lucene3 so it would be great if someone could
sponsor.

HTH

Cheers

James