Re: How to use Debian packaged freehep instead of upstream provided freehep.jar

On Mon, Feb 07, 2011 at 07:56:13PM +0100, Giovanni Mascellani wrote:
> The right list for discussion Java-related stuff is debian-java@l.d.o.

Now using proper list - and thanks for the CC - I'm not (yet) subscribed.

> Given that Debian packages for FreeHEP ship the maven .pom files, if
> your upstream used maven to manage compilation and dependencies probably
> it would have been enough to let maven-debian-helper manage the build
> process.

I just stumbled upon maven-debian-helper and really wished that I could
use this very cool stuff.

> Unfortunately, your upstream decided to do things by hand. First thing
> to do is to send him some secret voodoo curses.

Okk, Voooo...^W, no I think upstream is kind enough to not send him
curses. :-)

> The second one is decide
> what you want to do: given that figtree build system is not that
> complicated, you could choose to write yourself the .pom file and use
> it.

For me this sounds like the better solution.  It will leave upstreams
code untouched for whatever other purpose and in addition it adds
perhaps extra value.  If you consider it the prefered way to go anyway
I think the decision is clear.

> Fortunately the dependencies
> among FreeHEP packages can help you to reduce the number of dependencies
> you need to explicit.

Yes.  That's why I was asking.

> Hope to be helpful.

In fact you were for finding a reasonable decision.  Could you perhaps
recommend a "similar" package where I could steal a *.pom file or advise
some good reading how to write one?

> Anyway, upstream for Java packages should really be
> aware of this wonderful FOSDEM talk:
>
> http://www.fosdem.org/2011/schedule/event/devpackaging
>
> I really hope slides and video to be available ASAP.

I'll foreward this hint together with the pom file.

Kind regards

     Andreas.

--
http://fam-tille.de