Re: Java webapps and configuration files

Hi Russ,

On Fri, Aug 20, 2010 at 6:10 AM, Russ Allbery <rra@debian.org> wrote:
> The JSP files for this application need to be conffiles so that users can
> change them and those changes are preserved during upgrades.

no I don't think that JSP files are good candidates for conffiles.
Web.xml is okay but not code and data.

> Does anyone have any other good options?

The Debian way is still dpkg-divert. It sucks but it works. Two other
options come to mind:

1) Good webapps support theming. The local admin can put override
files into some different directory.

2) I thinks about how is it done in the good old Unix way? If you want
to modify /bin/true you can put your own implementation into
/usr/local/bin and you are done. Does Tomcat use some PATH like
variable to load jsp and css files where some other directory can be
prepended?

BTW I do not like your 3rd option at all. It sounds unsupportable in
the long run and the local admin has to learn a new tool which is only
used in Debian and only for Tomcat based apps. We should either use
some existing solution or something generic one or something that is
fully automatic and easy to support.

Cheers,
Torsten