Re: RFS: libgstreamer-java

Samuel Lucas Vaz de Mello wrote:
>>> It seems we don't need default-jdk-doc nor libjna-java-doc.
>> ---end quoted text---
>>
>> I remember reading on that list to link the API documentation against
>> default-jdk-doc & API documentation of other java libs that the package
>> depends on.
>>
>> Also, it was mentioned that those doc packages should be in Recommends
>> field of the API documentation package.
>
> Sorry, I didn't know that.
>
> Is this a new standard? I went to packages.debian.org and randomly
> picked some java-doc packages [1-5] to see how they implement this,
> but I found no package that depends on other -doc packages.

Yes, it is rather new[1] and I suspect that the only a handful of
packages currently do this. Also we have very little tool support for
it, which does not help.

> Also, I didn't understand how the other -doc packages will affect the
> javadoc compilation. Do we need to tell the javadoc compiler where the
> documentation for other libraries are located?

I was asked the same question and figured it would fit good in our
FAQ[2]. If you want a "live example", have a look at libfreemarker-java[3].
  The short version is that you will need to B-D(-I) on the doc packages
and tell javadoc where to find them.

The result of it is that freemarker's javadoc has functional links to
the other doc packages (assuming you have those installed of course).

>  - Samuel
>
> [1] http://packages.debian.org/source/sid/commons-vfs
> [2] http://packages.debian.org/source/sid/commons-beanutils
> [3] http://packages.debian.org/source/sid/libjna-java
> [4] http://packages.debian.org/source/sid/libflexdock-java
> [5] http://packages.debian.org/source/sid/javatar

~Niels

[1] It was ratified with the 0.35 upload of java-common. Sadly the
actual changelog entry just mention a "policy change", so it is not
directly visible.

http://packages.qa.debian.org/j/java-common/news/20100405T221415Z.html

[2] http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-java-faq/ch4.html#s4.4.4

[3]