Re: [Debconf-team] Debian Java track at DebConf 10

On Friday 30 April 2010, Daniel Kahn Gillmor wrote:
> Hi Pablo--
>
> On 04/30/2010 02:40 PM, Pablo Duboue wrote:
> > Question for DebConf-Team: if we get Rich Hickey to give a talk, does he
> > need to go through the regular talk submission process? (We clearly won't
> > get him to submit before the talk deadline ;-)   What is the process you
> > envision for these type of situations? How much wiggling room do you see
> > for the track themselves to allocate spots?
> >
> > I guess a possible alternative is to have Brian sign up for a slot "a
> > conversation with Rich Hickey, author of Clojure" and then either have
> > him give a talk or have somebody (could be Brian, could be Ramakrishnan,
> > could be a-yet-to-be-discovered-journalist-among-us) to conduct some sort
> > of "interview" on stage. What do you think?
>
> I'm with Jimmy that this is a great way to do it.  I think should be a
> bit of wiggle room for good proposals that come in under the aegis of an
> active Track Coordinator.  But yes, there still does need to be some
> kind of proposal for the talks team to understand what the topic is
> (some of us *ahem* might have never heard of Rich Hickey or Clojure
> before today, for example).

We further discussed this issue with dkg on IRC. There are a few talks on the
track that were requested and their importance was explained either on-list or
on IRC but still have no description. Maybe next year penta can have a more
formal track coordinator role and track coordinators can add comments to track
talks, but in the mid-time, I arranged this wiki page:

http://wiki.debconf.org/wiki/DebConf10/TrackJava

if you had one of the empty talks, feel free to scavenge text from that wiki
to add to your description (and delete it from the wiki, I mean, it is a
wiki).  Following the conversation with dkg,  my understanding is that the
talks committee will be using that wiki page in addition to the penta
submission in their acceptance decisions.

Thanks!

Pablo