Re: Debian Java track at DebConf 10

(this is an e-mail soliciting talks for a Debian-Java track at
DebConf10, please CC: me unless you also reply to the debian-java
mailing list)

On Mon, Apr 26, 2010 at 10:24 PM, Tom Marble <tmarble@info9.net> wrote:
> Pablo Duboue wrote:
>> I'd like to coordinate a Debian-Java track in DebConf10
> Sounds like a good idea!

Looking forward to your jigsaw talk :-)

> We should encourage related language (e.g. Clojure) talks as well.

Indeed. I learned scala because I found about it through Debian :-)
I'm CC:ing the Scala maintainers to see if they feel like giving a
talk. (Groovy and clojure are Debian-Java maintained so the
maintainers should be getting this already.)

Alternatively, we can have a JVM-based languages BoF session. If
anybody is interested in the topic, please submit it before the
deadline (in three days).

>> * A talk explaining the current state of the Java Policy and where we want to
>> take it in the longer term. Doesn't need to be a talk, it can a joust ;-)
>>
>> * A talk explaining javahelper, maybe focusing on newer developments if such a
>> talk has been offered on past DebConfs
>
> I suspect these will be topics that interest many Java hackers.
> One of the old discussions we had on this topic was how to think
> of these topics in a way that can benefit other distros as well [0].

(that thread looks very good, I'll read it at a later time, thanks for
pointing to it)

with respect to other distros, yes, in that area the Eclipse packaging
is heavily based on the work of Linux Tools in Eclipse, with a number
of people from Red Hat, so it is nice if we can identify things we do
to return the favor ;-)

Does anybody has experience using java tooling in other distros and
will be willing to sign up for a talk on the subject?

> For example, our friends from another popular Libre distro are
> concerned (rightly so) about Java security [1].  Anyone care to
> give a Java security talk (or is this really just a special case
> of a GNU/Linux security talk)?

We recently had issues with duplicated code in bsh [2]. Maybe there're
people in Debian-Security with particular expertise to Java that'd
like to give a talk (or a joint talk)?

Again, the deadline for talks is soon so go for it :-)

P.

[0] http://lists.debian.org/debian-java/2007/06/threads.html#00023
[1] http://identi.ca/conversation/26332216

[2] [🔎] 4BB8F651.2040902@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/[🔎] 4BB8F651.2040902@gmail.com