Re: [DebianGIS] JAI-core acceptable in non-free?

On Mon, Apr 19, 2010 at 01:40:46PM +0200, Johan Van de Wauw wrote:
> I have been trying to find out whether jai-core (java advanced
> imaging) is acceptable for distribution in 'non-free'.
> It's a library that is used by (among others) a large number of open
> source java GIS applications.

Johan

Thanks for your reviewing. I have the same doubts about JAI and dependent
software. That would require moving openjump in contrib in order to have
it updated to current 1.3 with raster support.
I would also add that currently OsGeo incubation for OpenJump has been
stalled because proejct team has not the energy
to follow up OsGeo requirements. Note that OpenJump is also a pre-requirement
for Degree (currently an OsGeo project) AFAIK, which renders the whole thing
quite weird.

Currently OpenJump 1.0 is almost usable, but it has a few problems with some
menu entries that cause some non fatal exceptions and usual ipv6 problem.
I wonder if we have still to support it as is.

--
Francesco P. Lovergine