Re: Debian/Ubuntu Java packaging - jMonkeyEngine

Hello Erlend,

All right, I will try to help you to package jMonkeyEngine, that looks
like a fun project to work with. It will take some time though, I have a
long list of TODO already, and to package this project, we need first to
package all its dependencies. Those projects looks already not so
trivial, and many use JNI bindings and native code, which I'm not very
comfortable with.

jogl 1.1.1 is already packaged for Debian, which is good,
lwjgl 2.5 is packaged in Debian, can you upgrade jMonkeyEngine to this
version?
jinput 20100502 is in Debian, again, can you use this version?
gluegen is not packaged, we will need to package it first.
jorbis 0.0.17 is in Debian, can you use this version?
swt is available in Debian , which version are you using?
Also, can you make available the sources of jme-colladatabinding, if
possible with a versioned branch? This project will probably need its
own package, unless its release cycle matches jme, in which cse it's
less costly to package it inside jMonkeyEngine.

Most of the dependencies are already in Debian, so the troublemakers are
less daunting already ;-)

I'm CC-ing the Debian Java team, maybe some other people will be
interested as well to help.

When do you plan to release version 3.0? It would be nice to provide the
Debian packaging shortly after that release, and it would avoid some
unnecessary updates in Debian.

Ludovic