Re: Java webapps and configuration files

Russ Allbery <rra@debian.org> writes:
> Torsten Werner <twerner@debian.org> writes:

>> 2) I thinks about how is it done in the good old Unix way? If you want
>> to modify /bin/true you can put your own implementation into
>> /usr/local/bin and you are done. Does Tomcat use some PATH like
>> variable to load jsp and css files where some other directory can be
>> prepended?

> If it does, that would be great.  That would definitely be a cleaner
> solution.  However, I couldn't find any hint of any such thing in the
> Tomcat documentation when I looked.

> My understanding is that the JSP pages have to be included inside the
> webapp from the Tomcat perspective for them to be able to make use of the
> Java code that's deployed in that webapp context.

It does look like it would be possible to change the paths to all the JSP
files that are mentioned in web.xml to use paths in a subdirectory of the
webapps directory instead of the top level.  In other words, changing
things like:

    <login-config>
        <auth-method>FORM</auth-method>
        <realm-name>IdP Password Authentication</realm-name>
        <form-login-config>
            <form-login-page>/login.jsp</form-login-page>
            <form-error-page>/login-error.jsp</form-error-page>
        </form-login-config>
    </login-config>

to use /ui/login.jsp or some similar path.  For the error documents, it
looks like that would be invisible to the user.  For the login page, I
think that move would show up in the URL, however.

But if we moved all of those JSP pages into a subdirectory, then we could
symlink that whole directory to a directory in /etc, which might resolve
the problem.