Re: Lucene 3

I think that a separate lucene3 package will be required, as there is no guaranty that with the API changes an upgrade will work as expected.

Ludovic

Le 11/08/2010 13:54, Jan-Pascal van Best a écrit :

Hi all,

Lucene 3 has been out for a while. It is not backwards compatible with
lucene2 (use of Java5 generics, drop deprecated APIs). What should we do
with this in Debian?

1. Have a big-bang transition in which we patch al rdeps of lucene2 to
work with lucene3.
- I'm not sure if this is even possible for all rdeps
- Devs working on their own Lucene projects using the Debian-packaged
Lucene are left in the cold

2. Maintain separate lucene2 and lucene3 package for a while.
- Duplicate effort
- Would not encourage making the transition to lucene3

what do you think?

Regards

Jan-Pascal