some bits from the UDS-M

Hello,

Thierry invited me to come to the Ubuntu Developer Summit (UDS) for the
Maverick release which took place last week near Brussels. I want to
thank Canonical for sponsoring me and I want to present my personal view on
some discussions we had there. I hope it is interesting for you.

= Hadoop =

Thanks to Thomas we have Hadoop Core and Hbase in Debian. There was some
discussion about providing a working default configuration for Hadoop;
debconf questions might be an option. It is unclear how to distribute
the configuration files to the systems part of the hadoop cluster (like
ssh public keys).

Hbase has unpackaged dependencies: AgileJSON, Thrift; see
<http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=524135> and
<http://git.debian.org/?p=users/eevans/thrift.git>. JRuby is another
(indirect?) dependency and currently in non-free.

Pig is not in Debian and depends on hadoop, hbase, zookeeper-hbase.

= Java frameworks =

Ubuntu is interested in frameworks only if they are needed by other
stacks but they do not see value in the frameworks itself (but I do not
share this view). Some commons goals might be:

- Upgrading Hibernate to 3.5.x
- getting JRuby back into main

Current state of JRuby: Sebastien has agreed to team maintain the
package under the umbrella of pkg-java:
<http://git.debian.org/?p=pkg-java/jruby.git>. Please check its bugs at
<http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?repeatmerged=no&src=jruby>
to find out what to do next. I am planning to work on JRuby myself.

It would be nice to get Netbeans synced from Ubuntu into Debian but you
guessed correctly - it Build-Depends: jruby.

= Tomcat =

Tomcat is *the* success story. We share the same package in Debian and
Ubuntu. We have upstream support and the package is highly recommended
by third parties. Some ideas for improvements are:

- really allow running as a different user
  <http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=581018>
- preseeding the values in /etc/default/tomcat6 via debconf
- document alternatives to authbind
  <http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=581027>
- document webapp packaging
  <http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=581026>
- full transition from old libservlet2.[34]-java to libservlet2.5-java

= Ehcache =

Ubuntu's final target is packaging the Terracotta Clustered Cache.
Debian can profit from the upgrade of Ehcache core to version 2.1 which
will be released soon.

= other things =

It was interesting for me to find the Maverick Release Schedule at
<https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MaverickReleaseSchedule> and the Debian
specific information at <https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DebianImportFreeze>.

Cheers,
Torsten