Re: performance of remotely accessed java gui applications

On 2010-05-09 19:26, Philipp Huebner wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 07.05.2010 23:19, Xerxes Ranby wrote:
>
>>> Now, any ideas how to improve that situation?
>>> How can I run java applications like the example above remotely
>>> _smoothly_
>>>
>> OpenJDK Icedtea6-1.8 ships with a new xrender backend that are better
>> suited for running heavy GUI applications remote across the network.
>>
>> Try running your application using Icedtea6-1.8 and the following
>> command line:
>>
> I could not get the icedtea plugin working. No idea what it did, but it
> pushed all cpu cores to 100% when I browsed some java enabled webpages.
>
> And iceweasel doesn't know how to handle *.jnlp files when I have the
> icedtea plugin installed without any sun-java* packages.
>

>> java -Dsun.java2d.xrender=True -jar circuit-construction-kit-dc_en.jar
>>
> Now that really helped!
> This way it was really usable and remotely almost as good as locally.
>

> Now, is there a place in /etc where I can set this option as a default?
>

> Regards,

You can add

export _JAVA_OPTIONS="-Dsun.java2d.xrender=True"

to your ~/.profile

and it will make all java applications use the xrender pipeline by default!

xerxes@xerxes-J464X:~$ export _JAVA_OPTIONS="-Dsun.java2d.xrender=True"
xerxes@xerxes-J464X:~$ java -version
Picked up _JAVA_OPTIONS: -Dsun.java2d.xrender=True
java version "1.6.0_18"
OpenJDK Runtime Environment (IcedTea6 1.8) (6b18-1.8-0ubuntu1)
OpenJDK Server VM (build 14.0-b16, mixed mode)

Thanks to Mark Wielaard for finding this solution.

Cheers
Xerxes