Re: [DebianGIS] JAI-core acceptable in non-free?

Not just Openjump,
Almost any java gis program relies on jai (geotools library, kosmo
gis, gvSig, openjump, udig, diva gis, ...).
I have not yet done a lot of research (and my knowledge of java is too
small to do it quickly) but it might be possible to separate the core
functionality to main and other modules to contrib. On the other hand
I don't think many users would prefer af fully free package with
almost no grid/image facilities over a contrib package which includes
more functionality.

I cannot judge on whether we should support Openjump 1.0, but it would
be nice if we could one day create gvSIG and geotools packages. This
are really projects with a large momentum. A well working JAI package
is definitely useful for packaging them (although it is certainly not
the only thing needed).

Johan