Re: Solving the default-jdk-builddep mess

On 12.04.2010 12:42, Matthew Johnson wrote:
On Mon Apr 12 10:56, Vincent Fourmond wrote:
On Mon, Apr 12, 2010 at 8:36 AM, Niels Thykier<niels@thykier.net>  wrote:
As some of you know, default-jdk-builddep (usually) pulls in two JDKs
(openjdk-6 and gcj/gij) to create -gcj packages.
  However, some people are not aware of this and looking at the name of
the package they assume it is the Java Team's "Default Build-Dependency"
or in other words the "Right Thing" (tm) to Depend on to get a java
compiler.

I think the best idea is to rename default-jdk-builddep into something
else that does not trigger the "Ah, this is what I should put in
B-D"-instinct of our fellow maintainers and developers. If you have a
suggestion for a new name, please come with it.

   default-jdk-native default-jdk-jni ?

-gcj please, it's not needed just for for JNI, that should be clear. I also
agree that there's no need to have a default-jdk+gcj builddep, you can just
depend on both if you need both. I don't know whether gcj-jdk is suitable for
that, if not then a similarly named meta-package.

No. It shouldn't be an extra build-dependency. See my followup to Torsten.

  Matthias