Re: Problems packing eclipse RCP application elexis

Niklaus Giger wrote:
> Hi
>
> I started working on packaging www.elexis.ch for Debian. I am using
> git-buildpackage  and looked at the solr and libehcache-java packages for
> inspiration.
>
> git-buildpackage --git-dont-purge --git-ignore-new --git-no-sign-tag -us -uc
> begins to work.

Hi

While there is nothing wrong with looking at other packages for
inspiration, neither of those are build eclipse plugins or rcps. Though,
I cannot recommend any better source of inspiration at the current time.

Is your git repository available publicly?

> I managed to compile already a few java files after having added dependencies
> in my debian/rules to a bunch of Java libraries like jakarta-poi jdom1 bcprov
> commons-logging.
>
> I have however a lot of errors like this:
> [javac]
> /home/src/debian/elexis-2.0/elexis/src/ch/elexis/ApplicationActionBarAdvisor.java:24:
> package org.eclipse.core.runtime does not exist
>
> The following manually created link solved this problem:
> cd /usr/share/java  && sudo ln -s \
> /usr/lib/eclipse/plugins/org.eclipse.jface_3.4.1.M20080827-2000.jar \
> org.eclipse.jface.jar
>
> Also for
> /usr/lib/eclipse/plugins/org.eclipse.swt.gtk.linux.x86_3.4.1.v3449c.jar =>
> org.eclipse.swt.jar
>
> This trick fails however for
> /usr/lib/eclipse/plugins/org.eclipse.ui_3.4.1.M20080910-0800.jar =>
> org.eclipse.ui.jar
>
> Will these errors be corrected with the eclipse 3.5.x packages coming soon? Or
> shall I file a bug againt them?

It will not be fixed and nor is it a bug really; however, the coming
eclipse package will ship with build helpers to deal with this.

eclipse comes with its very own set of build scripts and an ant-wrapper
that eclipse plugins usually use for their compilation (featuring stuff
like pre and post compile hooks etc.). I cannot recommend attempting to
emulate this with regular ant; also the ant-wrapper itself is run via
eclipse - which tends to make it try and create/access $HOME/.eclipse,
causing FTBFS on the buildd machines (e.g. see #480693).

eclipse-build (our direct upstream for eclipse) has managed to compile a
few scripts that can build an eclipse feature/plugin while hiding most
of the difficulties of beating eclipse into behaving sanely during a
headless build. Furthermore we have begun creating debian specific
helper systems to use these scripts.

This is one of the reasons why I would like to see your git repository -
to see if there is anything we can do to assist you and the application
you are building.

> Best regards
>
> Niklaus

~Niels