Re: Liferay packaging for Debian and Ubuntu

On 02/02/2010 10:01, Torsten Werner wrote:
Hi,

Hi Torsten,

I'd like to find out if there is some interest in the Debian und Ubuntu
Java communities to package Liferay Portal. Liferay
<http://www.liferay.com>  is a portal server implementing the Java
Portlet Specification JSR-286. It can run in a variety of application
servers like Tomcat and JBoss and it provides additional features
compared to other portlet containers.

Please let me know if are interested in developing and maintaining a
package of liferay. It will certainly be a lot of work - probably too
much for just one maintainer. We would start with packaging it for
Debian/contrib (using Tomcat) and Ubuntu would get it through its
regular sync from Debian.

I'm using Liferay 5.2 on a daily basis at work so I'll join this packaging effort. Do you want to build a new team or use pkg-java existing infra. ?

I agree with you: this will be a huge task to include Liferay in main (eg Liferay use +140 JAR at runtime) so we might start to upload it to contrib.

IMHO, another important task is to also package Liferay Developpers tools : Liferay SDK (portlets, themes skeleton and scripts), Liferay Extension environnement generator and Liferay Maven Plugin.

Damien Raude-Morvan