Re: debian package of hadoop

Hi Jordà,

> The main issue that prevents the inclusion of the current Cloudera
> package into Debian is that it depends on Sun's Java. I think it would
> be interesting, at least for an official Debian package, to depend on
> OpenJDK in order to make it possible to distribute it in "main" instead
> of "contrib".
The build-depends line can easily be changed as long as hadoop will build with
openjdk. The binary will depend on java5-runtime-headless which is provided by
any java runtime. So the user of the package is free to choose either Sun or
openjdk.

> Also, note that in order to fit into Debian's package autobuilding
> system, some scripts will probably require some tweaking. For instance,
> by default Hadoop downloads dependencies at build time using ivy, but
> Debian packages should use already existing packages. Incidentally,
> Hadoop depends on some libraries that aren't available in Debian yet,
> such as xmlenc, so there is even more work to do.
The ivy thing will of course be patched out and replaced by the correct
classpath entries to /usr/share/java/...
I already packaged xmlenc but am waiting for a sponsor. The remaining two
dependencies are optional. Please have a look at
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/HadoopPackagingSpec

Thomas Koch, http://www.koch.ro