eclipse plugins per user

Hi,

for vim, there's vim-addon-manager to enable or disable vim plugins for each
individual user. This makes a lot of sense, since vim plugins are of varying
quality and you may not force all users to use a plugin.

Plugins are still installed as regular debian packages, but only enabled via
symlinks in $HOME/.vim or on selection system wide via symlinks to
/usr/share/vim/...(?).

I'm not experienced enought with eclipse to know, whether such a setup would
make sens for eclipse too. However what surely makes sense, would be the
ability to install plugins not only as debian packages, but also via the
eclipse update mechanism.

I've seen, that there formerly was a possibility to declare external plugin
locations for eclipse with a "links" subfolder. But this is deprecated now and
can only be reenabled with a config setting[1]. Does anybody know an
equivalent way to use additional plugin locations?

[1] org.eclipse.update.reconcile=true

Just my 2c,

Thomas Koch, http://www.koch.ro