Re: OpenJDK 6 Certification for Ubuntu 9.04 (jaunty)

Andrew Haley schrieb:
> In https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-devel-announce/2009-July/000587.html
> Matthias Klose wrote:
>
>> The Ubuntu Java development team is pleased to announce completed
>> certification of OpenJDK 6 for Ubuntu 9.04, continuing Ubuntu's tradition of
>> integrating the latest and greatest open source technologies into a
>> high-quality, easy-to-use Linux distribution.
>>
>> After signing the Sun TCK agreement earlier this year, Java developers
>> went to work with the certification process and received final
>> certification from Sun in late May.
>
> And you didn't announce it till now.  Such amazing self-control.  :-)

well, we had a bug in the fontconfig configuration file leading to too large
vertical layout in dialogs, which was fixed in an update, and this update did
migrate to jaunty-updates last Friday.

>> This certification means that the OpenJDK 6 package included with Ubuntu
>> 9.04 now passes the rigorous testing of the Java SE Test Compatibility Kit
>> (TCK) and is compatible with the Java(TM) SE 6 platform on the amd64 (x86_64)
>> and i386 (ix86) architectures.
>
> Congratulations, and welcome to the club!  I was beginning to wonder if Red Hat
> and Fedora were going to be the only member for ever.

And many thanks for guiding me through the setup for the TCK!

So it should be possible to certify the Debian packages as well (maybe not the
ones in lenny, but more likely a backport).  I will not do this myself, the
certification is time consuming. If somebody wants to get involved with the
certification of the Debian OpenJDK-6 packages (after doing the paperwork of
signing the TCK and the SCA), please let me know, and I'll help where I can.

  Matthias