Re: api docs, java source

On Tue, Dec 15, 2009 at 8:41 PM, Thomas Koch <thomas@koch.ro> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just noticed, that junit4-doc installs api docs into /usr/share/java/junit4
> while ant-doc installs them into /usr/share/doc/ant/api.

Please file a bug. The docs should go to /usr/share/doc/junit4/api.

> Maybe we should add a section to java-policy about the right position?
>
> questions:
>
> a)
>
> Where to put api docs?
> - /usr/share/java/PACKAGE
> - /usr/share/doc/PACKAGE/api
> - /usr/share/doc/PACKAGE-doc/api

Answered above.

> b)
>
> Shouldn't /usr/share/doc/PACKAGE-doc be a symlink to /usr/share/doc/PACKAGE

I don't understand rational behind this. So can't comment.

> c)
>
> When all api docs are in a standard location, shouldn't it be easy of IDEs to
> use them?

It depends on how a particular IDE reads the javadoc. But if they are
in standard location then surely we can think about how we can patch
IDEs to read them (in long term).

> d)
>
> Would it be useful to have PACKAGE-dev packages for java containing the source
> code, so that I can refer to it when developing on top of a library?

Ideally you shouldn't refer to source code of libraries for writing
your app. You should refer javadoc of the library.
In any case it is as easy as 'apt-get source <packagename>'. IMHO,
there should not be a separate -dev package containing source code.

Cheers,
Onkar