The swt-gtk and eclipse debate (was Re: RFS: swt-gtk 3.5.1 (updated package))

Damien Raude-Morvan wrote:
> Le mardi 08 décembre 2009 20:09:57, Onkar Shinde a écrit :
>> On Tue, Dec 8, 2009 at 11:44 PM, Adrian Perez <adrianperez.deb@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>> Hello Mathias.
>>>
>>> Although is still an open discussion, we're making our best efforts to
>>> not build SWT from eclipse at all, and just make it depend on the
>>> swt-gtk generated packages.
>> I am in agreement with Adrian here. There are at least two other
>> packages that depend on swt. If we don't maintain separate swt-gtk
>> package then for every bugfix that needs to be done to swt we will
>> need to upload new eclipse revision/version. This will unnecessarily
>> add to maintenance.
>
> You're right, it's the way to go : drop libswt-* packages from eclipse source
> tarball and replace them with packages from swt source package (and not the
> other way, as I said earlier).
>
> What's your timeline here :
> - Upload swt-gtk 3.5.1 source package as is ?
> - Remove eclipse swt packages now (seems a huge task) ?
> - Upload eclipse 3.5 unchanged ?
>
> Cheers,

Hi

The eclipse team (per IRC and now also per mail) agreed to use
src:swt-gtk binaries for eclipse as well. I am perfectly okay with this
provided eclipse works using the swt-gtk binaries - this was not the
case with 3.4.1; but hopefully 3.4.1 was just a very rotten fruit. Past
experiences have shown that eclipse has kept packages out of testing
before - using a separate swt-gtk would prevent that as well.

Currently I am working on the last OSGi related bugs (tomcat6[1], jetty
and lucene2 remains) and will focus on that. I firmly believe this can
keep my burning passion for eclipse satisfied in-between my exams.
Seriously though, I hope someone would take up the "using swt-gtk with
eclipse" test - Adrian and Benjamin, if neither you do not have time for
this; then I suggest we call another RFH on this.

If - by the time we get the OSGi bugs sorted out - swt-gtk + eclipse has
been tested and is known to work; I do not mind waiting a bit further to
get that merged into the main development branch. But if that test lacks
positive results, I will push for uploading eclipse with renamed
swt-packages (currently they name clash with swt-gtk due to Adrian's
commit[2] back in Aug).

I realize that it may to the casual reader appear as if I lack the
fundamental traits to maintain and provide the high quality packages
that Debian gives its end users - the truth however is that I am
beginning to feel I am failing our users; it has been 4 months since I
ITA'ed eclipse, we got 22 pending bugs to be closed with an new upload
and my feeling that "Yes, this is it - eclipse is almost done" was
flushed down the toilet with the eclipse build issue with tomcat6 + this
swt-gtk debate. It is not that I do not want to pack eclipse properly;
it is the lack of results which is taking is toll on me [3].

Anyhow, Damien, this is the timeline I vision:
 1. complete the upload of swt-gtk 3.5.1
 2. Someone check the swt-gtk binaries + eclipse.
 3. We/I finish up the OSGi problems.

At this point, depending on the result of 2. we either upload eclipse
with (renamed) swt packages - or if 2. turned out successful (which I
hope); without swt binaries from eclipse.

~Niels

[1] It is supposedly ready; but we had some difficulties rebuilding
eclipse with it, which is why there has been no RFS on it yet.

[2]
http://git.debian.org/?p=pkg-java/eclipse.git;a=commitdiff;h=8c972443757b808e752c208683737a50e669b200

[3]  By now I am fully aware of why Michael Koch said "never more" to
eclipse.